If you believe that you received a parking ticket in error, here are some tips on how to proceed:
- Read your ticket to find out about your payment options. There may be a reduced fine for paying early. Contact the company as soon as possible to see if they have any way to eliminate tickets for first-time offenses.
- Check to see if there is the option of contesting a City/Municipal parking ticket online or over the phone instead of appearing in court.
- If you are disputing your ticket and it’s from a private parking business, contact the business immediately for resolution. Be sure to document when you parked, take photos if there is no private parking signage, and keep receipts of restuarants or shops you may have attended during the time in question. In some cases the company disputes that the person who parked in their lot actually frequented the store. Be sure to keep receipts handy for reference.
- Be aware that unpaid and unresolved parking tickets may be forwarded to a collection agency and may eventually be reported on your credit report.
- File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau: www.mbc.bbb.org if you cannot resolve the complaint directly with the company.